Monday, June 02, 2008

Deliverance is still an age away.
You know it when the skies are tinted gray,
The hue of seas that burst in ragged spray
Upon a night which parts in shreds and rags
For pins and pricks of light, the morning's dregs.
This is the night that births another day,
That spawns the brood of men which everyday
Are, drowsy, dragged from concrete cliffs and crags
To stir machines of painted metal slags,
Each sputter, chokes on smoke, another gags;
Scarce older than the trees, but looking hags,
Parading puppets dressed in tattered flags-
If these are children of the earth, I say
Deliverance is still an age away.

-~-

This one was written in an epic burst of inspiration. I call it a sonnet because it's written in iambic pentameter, has 14 lines, and has seven or less rhymes. Heck, if Robert Frost could write terza rima sonnets I don't see why I can't play around a little. But eh, enough ranting.

1 comments:

a adhiyatma said...

Fucking brilliant, eh. I seriously like this.

I feel that the imagery is concise and effective, and rather well presented if I may say so. "Parading puppets in tattered flags' is a good line, and so is 'upon a night which parts in shreds and rags' There's a complexity in that imagery even though you didn't use many words. I could go on but I think it's enough to say well done man.

adam

Post a Comment