Friday, May 14, 2010

Hey guys, Ryan here. I know I haven't actually been writing here, but I wanted to give you guys a little heads up about a new project of mine before I start send out e-mails.

A friend and I (Matthew Reuben, for those who know him) are working on a new collection of local writing. It's going to be fresh, exciting, and it's going to be published in print (read: on paper, in an actual book). We're looking for sponsorship from NAC and everything, so it's pretty exciting.

Of course, first we need pieces, and that's where you come in. I'm sure all of us here have stories floating around in our heads waiting to be pinned unto paper. Well, this is your chance.

Guidelines:
  • Submissions must not exceed 5000 words in length.
  • We're looking for prose writing - short fiction, essays or extracts from forthcoming works. Poetry will not be accepted.
  • There is no theme. All we ask for is your best work.
  • Authors must be Singaporean or Singaporean PRs. The reason for this is that NAC only sponsors Singaporean works.
  • Submissions should not contain any racist, overly sexual, or subversive themes. This is, again, due to NAC's policies.
  • The piece must be "new" in the sense that it is "unpublished in print form" - this makes life much easier in terms of rights.
  • Submissions can be in any reasonable digital format. Preferably ms word or .txt files. In anticipation of scanned submissions - .jpg files don't count as "reasonable" formats.
  • Please note that we are unable to return any material received.
  • Deadline is 31ST AUGUST 2010. All submissions and enquiries should be sent to new.singapore.writing@gmail.com.
And that's it. The reason why we're not accepting poetry is that the local literature scene is already full of poetry. We want to do something different, something fresh. I'm sure all of you have it in you to write some sort of prose. And even if you aren't selected for publication, writing something you feel is good enough to be published is something in itself to be proud of.

Email me at ranathalion@gmail.com if you have any questions. I look forward to reading your submissions :)

P.S. In case you've been wondering what I've been up to, I've been working on a one-story-a-day project here. Drop by and tell me what you think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment