Monday, January 17, 2011


For a unbeliever,
life is a rush from peak to peak
backpacking up the steps and slopes
then a wild toboggan ride through the valleys and up some ways

I beg you not to think that that's so sad
as you daughters of the faith are wont to do
one climbs and falls
(one climbs, at any rate)
and, ascending to each peak one isn't concerned with
breathlessness and aching legs
but the sun reflecting off the lakes and the trees.

it will pass, as you say.
after the last ascent I will ride alone into the valley of death,
that cold and windy place -

but There is nothing more to life than chasing down every temporary high,
I am happy to say.
I get stronger with each ascent,
and looking out from the hilltops I know that the sun is rising
and say to myself 'It is good.'

adam

0 comments:

Post a Comment