Friday, July 07, 2006

I stand in the sea.
Wave after wave of irredeemable sadness breaks over me,
washing me clean,
Washing my clean, washed corpse to the sand.

I lie on the sand,
and gust after gust of unremiting sand scours my flesh,
leaving my bones clean;
leaving nothing, but clean, white bones.

There i am, There's me,
nothing more than a skeleton of clean, white bones in the sun.

If a little girl were to pick through my bones, i would tell her,
Watch where you step. That's my ribcage.
That's my heart.

2 comments:

a adhiyatma said...

wholy interesting. ending makes you think, somehow, although i don't quite understand it. work the first two stanzas... the repetition of 'clean, white bones' doesn't quite work. but very interesting, which is really good.

adam

ryan d said...

The ending of your poem reminded me of these two lines by Yeats:

I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly, because you tread upon my dreams.

- He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven, W.B. Yeats

Post a Comment